If you are traveling to Cancun Mexico in the near future, trust me when I say, you will be SO happy to learn about these 11 Cancun travel tips down below in this travel blog. Not going to lie, if we knew these couple tips, our entry into Mexico would have been SOOO much easier!
After reading our input and tips about visiting Cancun, and you are ready to book this vacation...
Click 'Book My Trip' below, pay the design fee, fill out the information & I'll get everything set up for you and on your vacay toLas Vegas Nevada!
If you truly want to be 'apart' of our adventures and get a true, first hand experience, definitely check out our YouTube videos in Cancun Mexico!
Become a part of the Adventure Encounters squad and be the first to hear about where our next travel destination will be, our insight on locations we stay & adventures that we take via our travel blog, plus a few extras! (especially on Cancun Mexico)! (Be sure to check your SPAM folder every once in a while!)
It's official, we finally joined the traveling gang and went on our first International vacation, to Cancun Mexico, since Covid took over in 2020 (technically it was 2019.. but who's counting the years 🤷♀️). IT WAS AWESOME!! And we are in the middle of planning our next vacation! The fear of traveling is no longer a fear for us, and we think you might feel the same when you take your next Mexico vacation! (Quick side note... we can help you book your next vacation too... click HERE!)
Ok, lets start off by telling you our 'pre' Mexico departure and how easy it was to get a covid test (to be cleared to travel Internationally), and then the story on how big of a dunce we both felt too...
Getting a quick Covid test... this is a VERY seamless and easy piece of the puzzle when it comes down to it, AND I will also be the first to admit... it felt like the LONGEST day and a half in our lives, to get the test results back! If you're curious, we got our test done at our local CVS Drug Store for free, and it was processed in about a day and a half. Be sure to make an appointment online at least 2 days prior (if you live in a busy city.... like Orlando, FL). You can also check Walgreens to see if they have any available testing sites too (also free).
Obviously we were good and passed our Covid test, but here's why we feel like dunces...
Don't laugh... while checking in for our flight at the airport, we learned that we didn't even need to take the Covid test to enter Mexico 🤷♀️🤦♀️
Currently (as of August 2021, check Covid travel guidelines HERE), you do not need to be fully vaccinated with the Covid shot, nor do you need to have a negative Covid test to enter Mexico via air (coming from the US).. BUT it is a requirement to have completed a negative Covid test within 3 days of traveling BACK to the US. The best part about this... 99% of the resorts in Cancun offer the testing onsite, and don't worry, there are multiple clinics all over the place in Cancun, that can do the testing, if your resort doesn't offer this.
** this info can change, please verify the travel guidelines in the above link **
MOST IMPORTANT - Get a hard copy of your negative Covid test, the airlines will want to see it before you depart back home. Now lets jump down to our Cancun Travel Tips ⬇⬇
Whether you're interested in a Cruise, guided tour, group trip, independent international travel or just a weekend get-away, and even that bucket list adventure... we can assist you with that!
Click 'Lets Go!' & lets start this adventure together!
1. Download all apps prior to leaving home (unless you have a cell plan... we have AT&T with full coverage in Canada & Mexico)... see the list of apps we utilized the most HERE.
2. Print off ALL your travel information and take with you!! - Prior to entering Cancun Mexico, your airlines will give you an immigration form which will require you to fill in all your travel information (Hotel name and physical address, Airlines name & flight #, total amount of travel days). My suggestion, just print out your itinerary, this should have all the info you need.
QUICK TIP: Be sure to stick a pen in your carry-on... if you don't fill these forms out at home, the airlines (& while on the plane) won't give you a pen to fill these papers out and that's when chaos begins.
3. Pack a few snacks for your flight ... I don't know about you, but as soon as I step foot into the airport, I see all the snacks and end up paying double for a Snickers bar and Pringles 🤦♀️ and then I do it AGAIN while ON THE FLIGHT 🤦♀️🤦♀️ Don't be like me 😂
4. Book your airport transport prior to arriving in Cancun Mexico if your resort doesn't offer it. Trust me when I say, this is worth doing BEFORE you leave home. I can help you set it up HERE or make sure you book it online (you can book separately on Orbitz or Expedia too).
5. Grab a taxi and make a friend- there is no shortage of taxi's in the area, especially if you are in the hotel zone! We only used a taxi a couple of times (yes, they can be spendy but very convenient), and on our last visit, we met a great taxi driver and we suggest using him when you need to get around... here's his info: Hector the Connector at +52 9988 450 968 .... he speaks EXCELLENT English and he was very transparent and honest with us and we officially have a friend in Mexico!
6. Hop on the local bus if you are not wanting to pay a little extra for a taxi, there are MULTIPLE local buses that run up and down the hotel zone and all over Cancun, and it's like 10 pesos aka SUPER CHEAP (thats about .50 cents US).
7. Walk! It's safe to walk in Cancun! Ok, I say this with caution too. Obviously, you are in a foreign country and there are still sketchy areas in Cancun, so just use your best judgment. I wouldn't suggest walking too far at night, but during the day, no biggie! Nate and I walked all over the place while staying in the hotel zone!
8. Bring tip money/cash
9. When your walking around downtown or any shopping area (yes, it's safe to leave your resort on foot, especially in the hotel zone), don't fall for the FREE Excursion tickets in return for attending a time share presentation.... just trust us.... the free excursion tickets are NOT worth it 🥴🤦♀️ (ya.. we fell for it and lost a full day... but in hindsight we did get to experience Hotel Xcaret, & got some video footage for our upcoming YouTube video)
10. If you are wanting to buy your own hard liqour (now I'm about to sound like a lush 🤷♀️)
11. Best Apps To Download For Mexico Travel - These are the apps that we primarily used while in Cancun Mexico. You will want to download these before you leave your home town, so you can utilize when you arrive in Mexico (while being attached to wifi). These are all available in your app store FOR FREE (with exception to Netflix).
Trust us, the higher coverage, the better... especially in Cancun!!
Sun Bum has the BEST smell, does NOT give you that 'burning' sensation, is water-resistant up to 80 minutes, and most importantly, OCEAN & REEF FRIENDLY! Before leaving Cancun, we noticed a deeper tan with the higher SPF coverage vs the lower!
Not sure if it's just a me thing, but somehow, something ALWAYS happens to the ONE pair of sunglasses that I bring... and then I end up buying a pair that I don't really like that much... tell me I'm not alone here that this happens too?! Don't let your accessories make your vacation to Cancun, a negative one!
Call me a germaphobe, but the idea of utilizing a snorkel set from the resort or a tour, that multiple other people have used... nah, I'm good! This one can get tight enough for my small head and larger enough for our son's (bigger) head & of course these water fins are the perfect size for your carry-on!
When you get to Cancun, exploring can be fun, but be sure to take your 'small' essentials with you in a small backpack of some sort! And if you are going ANYWHERE there will be water, take a dry bag or dry-pack backpack instead! There is nothing worse than wanting to take your cell phone, other electronics, & a pair of clothes & try to keep them dry!!
Do NOT leave home without this! Yes, Cancun will have chapstick, but they may not have SPF specifically. The sun gets hot and since most of the time you will be either in the sun or salty ocean, you will want to keep your lips from getting fried and dried out! Once again Sun Bum SPF 30 is one of our favorites!
We each only brought 4 of these guys on this Cancun trip! Living in Florida, we are out on the ocean & beach as much a possible and because of that, we now incorporate these SPF/UPF Shirts every vacation and beach trip that we go on. Nate & Blake's SPF preference (men's), and my SPF preference (woman's)
I know this sounds like an odd one, but these were the BEST random items that we brought with us. You never know what to expect when you are ready to eat & drink in a different country! These charcoal pills & these Alka Seltzer EXTRA STRENGTH pills were a MASSIVE lifesaver... especially on the day, I decided to over-indulge in the Tequila. Oh, and throwing in a Pedialite will save your life too!
I can't tell you how many times this portable solar charger has been a HUGE lifesaver, especially because we are NOT always conveniently sitting next to an electrical outlet.
'I want to stay inside for an hour to charge my phone, while on vacation in Cancun'... SAID NO ONE EVER!
And this one is pretty rugged, so if it gets a little wet or dusty because you are out exploring, no big deal!
If you enjoyed my rambling, and would like to hear more, be sure to sign up for our blog posts. And if you REALLY like us, we would so much appreciate you sharing this with someone else ❤
The referral of your friends & family is the greatest compliment you can give us!
(Be sure to check your SPAM folder often if you don't see an email message from The Adventure Encounters in the near future!)
Hope these suggestions help you out if you are planning a visit to Cancun Mexico!
See you again soon!
-Ashley (Nate & Blake)
*Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here, are our own. This post contains affiliate links that are no additional cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. So if you decide to use our links to buy anything, we really appreciate it! It helps support our website and for us to continue to make videos and more content like this website. Thank you for your support.
Copyright © 2021 Adventure Encounters - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy