If you are traveling to Cancun Mexico in the near future, trust me when I say, you will be SO happy to learn about these 11 Cancun travel tips down below in this travel blog. Not going to lie, if we knew these couple tips, our entry into Mexico would have been SOOO much easier!
After reading our input and tips about visiting Cancun, and you are ready to book this vacation...
Click 'Book My Trip' below, fill out the questionnaire & I'll get everything set up for you and on your vacay to Cancun, Mexico!
Become a part of the Adventure Encounters squad and be the first to hear about where our next travel destination will be, our insight on locations we stay & adventures that we take via our travel blog, plus a few extras; especially on Cancun, Mexico! (Be sure to check your SPAM folder every once in a while!)
1. Download all apps before leaving home (unless you have a cell plan... we have AT&T with full coverage in Canada & Mexico- check with your carrier to get the same)... see the list of apps we utilized the most HERE.
2. Print off ALL your travel information and take it with you!! - Before entering Cancun, Mexico, your airlines should give you an immigration form, requiring you to fill in all your travel information (Hotel name and physical address, airline name & flight #, total amount of travel days). I suggest just printing out your itinerary, which should have all the info you need.
QUICK TIP: Be sure to stick a pen in your carry-on... if you don't fill these forms out at home, the airlines (& while on the plane) won't give you a pen to fill these papers out and that's when chaos begins.
QUICK TIP #2: DO NOT PAY FOR ANY FORMS ONLINE!!! There are multiple companies out there that say you have to pay for the MMF form, you don't! I supplied the link above!
3. Pack a few snacks for your flight ... I don't know about you, but as soon as I step foot into the airport, I see all the snacks and end up paying double for a Snickers bar and Pringles 🤦♀️ and then I do it AGAIN while ON THE FLIGHT 🤦♀️🤦♀️ Don't be like me 😂
Whether you're interested in a Cruise, guided tour, group trip, independent international travel or just a weekend get-away, and even that bucket list adventure... we can assist you with that!
Click 'Lets Go!' & lets start this adventure together!
4. Book your airport transport before arriving in Cancun Mexico, if your resort doesn't offer it. Trust me when I say this is worth doing BEFORE you leave home. We booked ours on Orbitz or you can try Expedia too. Generally these are the BEST prices online!
5. Grab a taxi and make a friend- there is no shortage of taxi's in the area, especially if you are in the hotel zone! We only used a taxi a couple of times (yes, they can be spendy but very convenient), and on our last visit, we met a great taxi driver. We suggest using him when you need to get around... here's his info: Hector the Connector at +52 9988 450 968 .... he speaks EXCELLENT English, and we now officially have a friend in Mexico!
QUICK TIP: Taxi's only take CASH. They do not accept anything else at this point, but obviously this can change in time!
6. Hop on the local bus if you do not want to pay a little extra for a taxi, MULTIPLE local buses run up and down the hotel zone and all over Cancun, and it's like 10 pesos aka SUPER CHEAP (that's about .50 cents US).
7. Get outside of your resort! Ok, I say this with caution. You are in a foreign country, and there are still sketchy areas in Cancun (just like anywhere in the world), so use your best judgment. I wouldn't suggest walking too far at night (or at all), but it's not that big of a deal during the day! Nate and I walked all over the place while staying in the hotel zone! I'm not sure about the rest of Mexico, but a good rule of thumb, go with a group of people or at least two people, not by yourself & be aware of your surroundings.
QUICK TIP: Download an 'offline' map of Cancun (or the generally area you will be in) from Google Maps. If you are walking around and don't have cell service, you can still use this offline map to guide you!
8. Bring tip money/cash
9. When you're walking around downtown or any shopping area (yes, it's safe to leave your resort on foot, especially in the hotel zone DURING THE DAY), don't fall for the FREE Excursion tickets in return for attending a timeshare presentation.... trust us.... the free excursion tickets are NOT worth it 🥴🤦♀️ (yes, we fell for it and lost a whole day... but in hindsight, we did get to experience Hotel Xcaret - WATCH THAT HERE or READ about it HERE)
10. If you want to buy your own hard liquor (now I'm about to sound like a lush 🤷♀️)
11. DO NOT DRINK THE FOUNTAIN WATER (THIS ALSO MEANS ICE) - Stick to bottled water only! Mexico does NOT have the proper filtration like the USA (or your country), which will make you sick. Luckily 99% of the resorts in Mexico will supply bottled water for you. Be sure to ask for extra bottles first thing when you arrive & again when they clean your room or in the morning.
12. Best Apps To Download For Mexico Travel - These are the apps we primarily used while in Cancun, Mexico. You will want to download these before you leave your hometown, so you can utilize them when you arrive in Mexico (while attached to Wi-Fi). These are available in your app store FOR FREE (except for Netflix).
Trust us, the higher coverage, the better... especially in Cancun!!
Sun Bum has the BEST smell, does NOT give you that 'burning' sensation, is water-resistant up to 80 minutes, and most importantly, OCEAN & REEF FRIENDLY! Before leaving Cancun, we noticed a deeper tan with the higher SPF coverage vs the lower!
Not sure if it's just a me thing, but somehow, something ALWAYS happens to the ONE pair of sunglasses that I bring... and then I end up buying a pair that I don't really like that much... tell me I'm not alone here that this happens too?! Don't let your accessories make your vacation to Cancun, a negative one!
Call me a germaphobe, but the idea of utilizing a snorkel set from the resort or a tour, that multiple other people have used... nah, I'm good! This one can get tight enough for my small head and larger enough for our son's (bigger) head & of course these water fins are the perfect size for your carry-on!
When you get to Cancun, exploring can be fun, but be sure to take your 'small' essentials with you in a small backpack of some sort! And if you are going ANYWHERE there will be water, take a dry bag or dry-pack backpack instead! There is nothing worse than wanting to take your cell phone, other electronics, & a pair of clothes & try to keep them dry!!
Do NOT leave home without this! Yes, Cancun will have chapstick, but they may not have SPF specifically. The sun gets hot and since most of the time you will be either in the sun or salty ocean, you will want to keep your lips from getting fried and dried out! Once again Sun Bum SPF 30 is one of our favorites!
We each only brought 4 of these guys on this Cancun trip! Living in Florida, we are out on the ocean & beach as much a possible and because of that, we now incorporate these SPF/UPF Shirts every vacation and beach trip that we go on. Nate & Blake's SPF preference (men's), and my SPF preference (woman's)
I know this sounds like an odd one, but these were the BEST random items that we brought with us. You never know what to expect when you are ready to eat & drink in a different country! These charcoal pills & these Alka Seltzer EXTRA STRENGTH pills were a MASSIVE lifesaver... especially on the day, I decided to over-indulge in the Tequila. Oh, and throwing in a Pedialite will save your life too!
I can't tell you how many times this portable solar charger has been a HUGE lifesaver, especially because we are NOT always conveniently sitting next to an electrical outlet. Make sure to give it a good wall charge prior to using for best results!
'I want to stay inside for an hour to charge my phone while on vacation in Cancun'...
SAID NO ONE EVER!
And this one is pretty rugged, so if it gets a little wet or dusty because you are out exploring, no big deal!
If you enjoyed my rambling, and would like to hear more, be sure to sign up for our blog posts. And if you REALLY like us, we would so much appreciate you sharing this with someone else ❤
The referral of your friends & family is the greatest compliment you can give us!
(Be sure to check your SPAM folder often if you don't see an email message from The Adventure Encounters in the near future!)
Hope these suggestions help you out if you are planning a visit to Cancun, Mexico (or really anywhere in Mexico 😁)!
See you again soon!
-Ashley (Nate & Blake)
*Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here, are our own. This post contains affiliate links that are no additional cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. So if you decide to use our links to buy anything, we really appreciate it! It helps support our website and for us to continue to make videos and more content like this website. Thank you for your support.
Copyright © 2022 Adventure Encounters - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy