Islamorada is easily our favorite Key in the Florida Keys. Be sure to check out our travel blog below and look at the specific blog post named 'What To Do In Islamorada'... then you will know why we love it so much!
You can expect to find multiple Florida travel blogs with information ranging from things to do, where to stay, seeking out hidden gems, and tips from us locals!
If you truly want to be 'a part' of our adventures and get a true, first hand experience, definitely check out our YouTube videos in Islamorada (and a TON more Florida Keys!)
Become a part of the Adventure Encounters squad and be the first to hear about where our next travel destination will be, our insight on locations we stay & adventures that we take via our travel blog, plus a few extras!
If you are new to the Florida Keys, and looking to stay in Islamorada (or even passing by), generally you are also looking for things to do there as well. Hopefully we can help fill that void with some of our favorites and tell you some suggestions from the locals as well.
Our most recent 'mini vacation' (see our YouTube videos HERE), took us south to Miami & the Florida Keys, hitting multiple spots, including our favorite Key, Islamorada. Here are some of the places we have personally gone to and some that we have heard great things about & plan to go!
• Alligator Reef Lighthouse (YouTube video HERE) Picture this... swimming pool water, clear as day, perfect temperature, and an amazing place to go snorkeling... but in the OCEAN! This is off shore about 5 nautical miles to the east of Islamorada, so you will need a water vessel of some sort, to get there. If you don't have your own personal water vessel, check out some of these locations for a snorkel tour, renting a boat, or possibly a jet ski tour, to the reef & lighthouse. Click HERE to see a list of companies/ charters to get to Alligator Reef
QUICK TIP : Make sure to check the weather for the best results... little to no wind and a clear sky is key!!
• Robbie's Robbie's of Islamorada, literally has an incredible amount of entertainment... so much, that you could pretty much hang out here all day! They have activities ranging from boat rentals, jet ski tours, fishing charters, parasailing, sunset cruises, and so much more, the list is seriously long (see there website)! One of our favorites is renting kayaks, and exploring both the mangroves and then over to Indian Key (another tiny key, with a walking trail, a viewing tower, and lots of history). And if you're brave enough, you can hand feed the MASSIVE tarpon... but beware of the lurking pelicans because they WILL seize the second, and steal your bucket of fish!
QUICK TIP: This is a really busy spot, especially on the weekends! Its best to show up early in the day, and maybe even try to go during the week to experience this place without feeling too crowded.
Whether you're interested in a Cruise, guided tour, group trip, independent international travel or just a weekend get-away, and even that bucket list adventure... we can assist you with that!
Click 'Lets Go!' & lets start this adventure together!
• Where to catch a sunset (and a bite to eat) If you are staying on the east side of Islamorada (like we did at the Pelican Cove), sunset tends to be a little harder to watch. But, if you go about 3 miles South to Islamorada Fish Company, this wont be a problem! On the back side of the restaurant, they have outdoor seating, which is perfect for catching an amazing sunset. But... if you're not wanting to sit & eat, there is a really cool little area to the left ( south) of the restaurant, peppered with a few chairs, perfectly placed tiki torches and palms. See the picture we took here, on our Instagram page. QUICK TIP: This area tends to get busy around sunset, so plan on going early to snag a chair and to beat the sunset dinner rush. On a side note... if you do have to wait for a seat, pop into the World Wide Sportsman store and be prepared to walk out with some cool stuff! I actually bought my favorite pair of flip flops here... the most comfortable pair I have ever had!
• Places To Eat Here are a few more suggestions on where to eat. Nearly all of them are sitting on the ocean (except Lorelei's, & Florida Keys Brewing)
QUICK TIP: Again... during sunset, some of these places can get busy busy, call ahead of time if you don't want to wait!
• Theater Of The Sea Believe it or not, this is one of the few places that the sea creatures are actually in there natural salty sea habitat and lagoons vs being in a pool or aquariums the whole time. We have yet to check this place out, but I felt like it was necessary to mention, if you are staying at the Pelican Cove Resort (watch a full review HERE and read our cost breakdown) or the Postcard Inn... its literally only a few minutes walk to the front doors!
• Charter A Fishing Boat If you haven't heard already, Islamorada is known as the 'sport fishing capital of the world'! If that doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will. Now.... what charter is the 'best' you ask?! Ill be honest, we have yet to charter a fishing boat in Islamorada, but have been talking about doing it for quite some time. We have been told to get the 'best' insight from Fishing Booker. We have used Fishing Booker once when we chartered a boat in Aruba, and the website itself, has a TON of info about multiple charters in the area. I have also been told, sometimes you can get a little better rate when you talk to the captain directly (food for thought). So do your research, and tag us in your photos on Instagram or Facebook, and tell us what you thought & your pro tips on your fishing trip!
If you have a Facebook page, I urge you to join the 'Key West & Florida Keys- Ask The Locals' page. If you need ANY info in a pinch, this is the place to go!
If you have used Groupon in the past, you know what this is all about and love reaping the benefits of this amazing website. If you are novice, well you may have just hit the jackpot on this discovery. Groupon is essentially an electronic coupon book that gives you daily deals to the location you are nearest to. I'll be honest, this is one site that we frequent often and ALWAYS check it for not only things to do and getting discount prices, but also deals on places to eat, and SO. MUCH. MORE! Be sure to check Groupon first before you buy any tickets for excursions or anything like that... there is a high possibility that you will keep a chunk of your vacation cash!
If you enjoyed my rambling, and you would like to hear more, be sure to sign up for our blog posts. And if you REALLY like us, we would so much appreciate you sharing this with someone else ❤
The referral of your friends & family is the greatest compliment you can give us!
(Be sure to check your SPAM folder often if you don't see an email message from The Adventure Encounters in the near future!)
Hope these suggestions help you out if you are planning a visit to Islamorada! It's our favorite Key out of the 800+ Florida Keys 😜
See you again soon!
-Ashley (Nate & Blake)
*Disclosure: We only recommend products we would use ourselves and all opinions expressed here, are our own. This post contains affiliate links that are no additional cost to you, but we may earn a small commission. So if you decide to use our links to buy anything, we really appreciate it! It helps support our website and for us to continue to make videos and more content like this website. Thank you for your support.
Copyright © 2021 Adventure Encounters - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy